A Beginner’s Guide to Buying Scuba Diving Mask
Having had an enjoyable experience of Scuba Diving in Playa Del Carmen in Mexico and gotten a PADI open diving certification, if you are looking forward to taking up scuba diving as a hobby, and you want to find out more about how to own your own set of scuba diving gear; keep these in mind.
For every beginner diver, buying the scuba diving gear is the first sign of committing to diving as a hobby. How are you supposed to know what kind of gear is right for you? Here’s a checklist curated especially for you.
Gear: The Scuba Mask
Role: What role does a scuba mask play? The Scuba mask makes space in front of an individual’s eye in order to aid in allowing them room to focus underwater. The design of the mask also enables one to equalize air pressure within the mask to help one travel deeper.
How to assess which is the best one for you?
A well-fit mask enables you to do certain tasks underwater very well. Checking these tasks to ascertain the quality of a scuba diving mask helps in the vetting process.
- Look at the ceiling with the mask on your eyes, but without strapping it in, if it lays flat without any gap, it is a good one.
- Put on the mask, and then add a snorkel piece in your mouth. If, with this addition, your eye mask is still comfortably fitting you, go for this one.
- Now, put on the mask and look forward without strapping up and try to inhale gently through the nose. If, while taking breathes, the mask begins to seal on the user’s face, then it is a good determinant of a good mask.
- Note: Invalidate the test, if one takes a strong breath in as a strong inhale will end up closing minor leak areas, deeming this mask unsafe for use while scuba diving. This is called the sniff test.
- Repeat the previous step at least 3-4 times to determine a safe passage of this test to avoid danger undersea/ocean. This can be detrimental if not administered properly.
- If this mask is still in the running for the position of being, ”your perfect scuba diving mask”, put on the strap and make extra sure that the skirt of the masks doesn’t fall below the upper lip. It should be able to fit perfectly on your upper lip, and it should be able to cover your nose.
- Now, take off the scuba diving mask and once more put on the regulator or snorkel mouthpiece and make sure that the end of the skirt reaches the nose pocket and is able to equalize your ear balance.
If all these tests have been administered well and the scuba diving mask of your choice has been chosen, go ahead and purchase it and experience scuba diving in playa del carmen.
Note: One of the vital things to note is that since you are purchasing a scuba diving gear for the very first time, it is best to take along somebody who is trained and experienced in the scuba diving field. This will minimize any chances of a wrong buy and give you an opportunity to see how the right purchase is made.
This is how you, as a beginner, can begin your journey buying the scuba diving gear of your choice, therein making your next and coming experience of scuba diving in Playa Del Carmen, deeply memorable.
You may like to know : Marmaris Scuba Diving : Mix to the Turquoise Waters