Are you a dog owner looking for the best way to provide care for your pet while you’re away? Are you trying to figure out whether dog boarding is right for you and your pup? In this article, Happy Dog Resort has gathered information about dog boarding so that you can make an educated decision when looking for a boarding facility for your fur baby! To learn everything from what dog boarding entails to the benefits of boarding your pup, you’ve come to the right place!
What Is Dog Boarding?
Dog boarding is a service where your pet stays with an experienced and friendly staff at a secure facility while you’re away. Boarders provide various amenities for your pup, such as meals and snacks, outdoor playtime, and supervised activities. Generally, you will drop off your pup at the facility and pick them up once you’re back.
What Are the Benefits of Dog Boarding?
There are several benefits to dog boarding:
- Socialization – Most boarding facilities house several dogs, thus allowing your pup to socialize with other pups. This socialization is essential for their development. It will help them build self-confidence while learning how to interact with other dogs and people.
- Exercise – Your dog is a bundle of energy that needs exercise to stay physically and mentally healthy. So when selecting a boarding facility, ensure it has ample space for your pup to run and play and plenty of toys to keep them stimulated.
- General Pet Care – when you board your pet, your pet will enjoy additional services such as grooming, flea and tick treatments, veterinary visits, and more. So ask for customized packages from the facility to ensure your pup receives all the care they need.
- Medical administration – are you worried about your pet not getting their required medication while you’re away? Well, you can rest easy. Most boarding facilities have staff trained to administer medication and other treatments.
- Protect Your Property – dogs experiencing separation anxiety or boredom tend to release their stress in destructive ways. From chewing furniture and shoes to digging up your garden, these behaviors can wreak havoc on your property. So to protect your property while away, consider enrolling your pup in a boarding facility where your pup will be engaged and entertained.
How Do You Choose A Dog Boarder?
Knowing that your dog is comfortable and happy is a top priority when away. So, what is the right way to choose a boarding facility for your pup? Here are some tips for selecting the best dog boarder:
- Word of mouth – your loved ones are some of the most reliable sources when looking for a reputable boarding facility. Ask them for referrals and their experiences with the facility they have used before. This will help you filter out inferior facilities.
- Read reviews – online reviews also help in narrowing down your choices. Read reviews from other pet owners and see how satisfied they were with the services provided by the facility.
- Visit their website – most facilities have websites with pictures and details about the facility and its service offering. Visiting the websites will help you to learn more about them before scheduling an appointment for a tour.
- Take a tour – Once you’ve narrowed down your choices, touring the facility helps you observe the facility’s level of cleanliness, staff friendliness, and overall environment.
- Book a trial session – finally, book a trial session with the facility to allow your pet to get used to the new environment. This also allows you to observe their interaction with your pet and their level of care.
Now that you know the pros and cons of dog boarding, you are better positioned to answer the question,
“Is dog boarding the right choice for my pet?”
Several factors will influence your choice, including your dog’s personality and your pup’s comfort in their new environment.
Will your pup cope well with other dogs? Or will it get intimidated by other, more active pups? All these are pointers to consider when making your decision.
Dog boarding is a great option for pet owners who need to be away from home for an extended period. With careful research and selection, you will find the right boarding facility for your pup. Boarding your pup will provide comfort, exercise, and socialization while you are away. Most importantly, it will give you peace of mind knowing that your pup is well taken care of and having a good time. After all, your pup deserves the best when you’re not around!