Autism is a chronic health condition that affects the gray matter of an individual’s brain. Therefore, people suffering from this issue can find it problematic to be socially interactive and communicative. Besides, they can engage in repetitive and stereotypical behavior too.
However, here’s a piece of good news for you.
While autism cannot be cured, you can treat it successfully to improve your child’s lifestyle. Yes, as a parent, you have to accept the fact and communicate more with them. However, you must not limit yourself to that only.
Besides, you have to create a unique diet structure for them, take them on a behavior therapy session, and much more. Additionally, we’ll also ask you to feed them dietary supplements to improve wherever their health is lacking.
In this article, we will tell you about the must-include supplements for your child and offer some insights regarding them. So, without making any further ado, let’s start addressing your concerns right away!
Which Supplements Do A Person With Autism Require?
According to doctors, an ASD patient can’t digest specific minerals and vitamins accordingly. The list of such elements may include –
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin D
- Vitamin B12
- Vitamin C
- Omega-three fatty acid, and
This low intake of such vitamins usually occurs due to three reasons –
- The stomach not being able to digest food properly.
- Following a restrictive diet structure, and
- The habit of food rejection.
People with ASD tend to be sensitive to certain food elements, such as soy or gluten. Considering that fact, eating selective food can seem pretty natural.
But why do children who have autism reject food?
It’s because most children with special needs tend to suffer from a condition called SPD (sensory processing disorder). Due to this reason, their brain cannot receive and respond to specific information correctly.
Connecting to the fact, eating, in essence, is a sensory-rich activity. To enjoy our meal, we have to smell the food, listen to the soft crunch while biting and feel the texture altogether.
However, most autistic people cannot process everything at one go, which, in turn, prompts them to reject specific food items.
Benefits Of Consuming Vitamin And Mineral Supplements
Usually, the supplements work as a nutritional support system for an individual with ASD. They offer the much-needed vitamins and minerals to patients without any tantrums at all.
Here’s what you need to know in this aspect.
- Melatonin, a type of hormonal supplement, helps in taking care of insomnia, sleep apnea, and other related issues occurring in an ASD patient. Besides, it also calms the nerves of an individual and decreases the level of stimming habits efficiently.
- Omega-three fatty acids focus on developing the eye and brain connection properly. Therefore, it becomes easier for autistic people to focus on whatever they are doing and complete it successfully. The side effects of omega-3 are pretty minor too.
- Magnesium improves the functioning of your brain cells and boosts your memory to some extent. Besides, the learning capability and communicational development of an individual will increase gradually in the patient as well.
- Probiotics are generally prescribed to boost the gut health of a person suffering from ASD. It improves the digestive system of the individual even more and lowers the severity of gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea, constipation, stomach pain, etc.
- Vitamin B6 helps your body to create neurotransmitters, which work as a chemical messenger in your brain. Hence, intaking this supplement can enhance the ability to understand something in an individual and avert further cognitive decline.
- Aside from partaking in the creation of neurotransmitters, vitamin C also protects your body from free radicals. It, sequentially, strengthens your immune system and prevents various diseases that people with ASD regularly deal with. Besides, these supplements can also reduce stereotypical behavior, like hand flapping, rocking, and pacing significantly.
- TMG and DMG can boost develop certain communicational behaviors, improve the usage of language, and reduce seizures in autistic individuals. They also help patients control their mood swings efficiently, reducing self-harming behaviors.
Supplements play an essential role when it comes to taking care of the nutritional health of an individual. However, in some cases, some vitamins or minerals can cause adverse reactions if you mess up the dosage.
Hence, if you avoid these issues, we’d ask you to consult with a pediatrician before providing any supplement to your kid.